Sunday, August 22, 2010

Getting a Producer (3 of 3)

With Loren by my side I knew we would have a tremendous script. Now I just needed a producer.

I immediately thought of 4 people. Nily Refai (see part 1), Clay Reed (see part 2),  Gabrielle Nadig (just coming off being the production manager of my last short The Empty Playground and producing an NYU film that was official selection SXSW and Tribeca), and Dan Clifton (whom we will discuss later). Clay, who is a remarkable person was completely unreachable because he was traveling extensively. Nily was still working on her Thesis as well as a few commercials. Gabby had just accepted a 6 month commitment on a job. And Dan Clifton is currently Executive Producer on Gold Circle Films new opus ATM starring Josh Peck (The Wackness) and Brian Geharghty (The Hurt Locker).

Dan is a friend and someone I really enjoy working with (worked on Dan's Zipcar commercial) so I didn't give up.

I persisted and when an ATM article was published in The Daily Reporter I congratulated him and sent an offer. I won't say it was an offer he couldn't refuse, but it was a nice offer and Dan accepted. Timing is really important and I was lucky enough to find him when he was available, and before anyone else snatched him up.

The last producer to sign on was Roberta Munroe, author of How Not to Make a Short Film, which is probably in my top 10 favorite books on filmmaking (behind Judith Weston's Directing Actors, and Frost's Cinematography for Directors). I respect Roberta very much and as someone who was a Sundance programmer for many years and a filmmaker herself, I am confident in her ability to cut the fat and identify what has been done a million times and what is fresh.

Roberta came on as Supervising Producer and meets with me once a week.

One thing that I am happy about is that Roberta has agreed to help with Distribution as long as the final project is something distribution worthy. And looking at the story and the team I think it will be.

So that is the story of how Loren Marsh, Dan Clifton, and Roberta Munroe came on board of my next film. Please read more about the progress we make!! And I hope you can be part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment